ATHENA is a project which contribute to provide content to Europeana.
ATHENA has the objectives to:
- reinforce, support and encourage the participation of museums and other institutions coming from those sectors of cultural heritage not fully involved yet in Europeana;
- coordinate standards and activities of museums across Europe;
- identify digital content present in European museums;
- contribute to the integration of the different sectors of cultural heritage, in cooperation with other projects more directly focused on libraries and archives, with the overall objective to merge all these different contributions into Europeana;
- develop technical tools to be integrated within Europeana, to facilitate the access to digital contents belonging to European museums.
The final aim of ATHENA is to bring together relevant stakeholders and content owners from all over Europe, evaluate and integrate standards and tools for facilitating the inclusion of new digital content into Europeana, so conveying to the user the original and multifaceted experience of all the European cultural heritage.